Canines & Bipeds That Follow My Blog:

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Hope These Make You Smile!

A woman got on a bus. She was holding a baby. The bus driver looked at the child and blurted out, “That is the ugliest baby I’ve ever seen!”

Infuriated, the woman slammed her fare into the fare box and took an aisle seat near the rear of the bus. The man seated next to her sensed that she was agitated and asked her what was wrong. “The bus driver insulted me,” she fumed.

The man sympathized and said, “Why, he shouldn’t say things to insult passengers. He could be fired for that.”

“You’re right,” she said. “I think I’ll go back up there and give him a piece of my mind!”

“That’s a good idea,” the man said. “Here, let me hold your monkey for you.”

*****************************

The dentist told me I grind my teeth at night, so now before I go to sleep I fill my mouth with hot water and coffee beans and set my alarm for 7:30. ~ Jeff Marder

*********************************

Many years ago I used to frequent the Valley of the Sun’s comedy clubs. The early 80’s was a terrific time for up and coming comedians and Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe had no less than 4 clubs where they were showcased. It was a low time in my life, and going solo to Gatsby’s Mardi Gras, Finney Bones or The Improv to sit anonymously and laugh for an hour or two was like medicine. My drink of preference was club soda, as often times I would head off to work the graveyard shift at the generating station after a set. Some of the folks (that I can remember) I had the pleasure of seeing perform were: Jeff Marder, Rita Rudner, Paula Poundstone, Michael Finney,Paul Rodriguez. There were others that I have seen on the late show since then and it always tickled me since I saw them when they weren’t well known. Most were pretty clean in those days, but there was an occasional comic that used foul language…one guy was so offensive that I had to walk out. Once when my parents came to Phoenix I pre-screened Paula Poundstone to make sure she was okay. She was soooo good. I then took my parents and she even carried on a conversation with my Dad and Mom! When she was on Johnny Carson a year or so later my Dad called me to say the young comedienne we had discovered was on TV. He was so excited about it. Daddy had a really good sense of humor and when he laughed it was hardy….made you want to laugh too.

5 comments:

Jen said...

HA! I love jokes...just can't ever remember one to tell.
Well these comedians have you to thank...without fans they would be nobody.

Connie said...

Those jokes were great, Cassie. And I love the photo of your dog too! It must be fun to see those folks on TV and you can say you remember them when. :D

Shelley said...

I enjoyed these jokes - it's always good to have a laugh! Rita Rudner used to be one of my favorites!

Dorothy said...

Your dressed up doggie, as well as your jokes, made me smile. Too bad that most of today's comics think that they have to use foul language to be funny! Oh, for the good ole days......

Cassie said...

Ladies ~ Glad this made you smile.