Canines & Bipeds That Follow My Blog:

Friday, March 13, 2009

More About Me...

This is Hootie and me at his last puppy class before he graduated. There are pics of him with the mortar board on in the dogs blog, HERE. If you look closely in this picture you can see the remains of the shiner I gave myself last Saturday. The orb of my left eye still hurts when I open & close it. Oh brother.

New subject. While reading Dawn's blog (I get ideas from her!) I was inspired to tell you about what a goofy little kid I was. For one thing, though I had an older sister, Harley, I always played by myself. (She didn't like me.) I was kind of an odd child, as I liked to sit behind or under furniture to play. I also spoke in rhyme. This was around 1953 I guess, my folks got brand new living room furniture. Thick upholstery with satin tassels surrounding the bottom on each chair and the sofa. Well, apparently I wasn't being watched very closely, because I got hold of my mother's sewing scissors and cut the tassels off of one of the chairs. Luckily, as I said, I hid behind the chair, so I only cut off the back tassels. I don't remember getting a spanking for this but do remember the chair being moved to a corner position. Around that same time I also cut one side of my very long hair to within 3 inches of the roots...Mommy had to cut the other side to even it off and in the pictures from that time I looked like George Washington! I was around 3 years old, but still remember crying and feeling embarrassed as Mom cut the other side off. I guess I was way before my time, cause I've seen the avant-garde lop sided hairstyles in fashion mags now a days. he he. No pictures for this story. They're in a book back in PA.

Now wasn't that fascinating? ha! Blessings to all my friends who read this today. Have a good weekend.

love,Cassie

10 comments:

reliv4life said...

love the picture! you really are a beautiful lady - bet you were still cute even with all that wacked off hair! Funny you cut those tassels off, kids do weird things, don't they? Oh my, now I am thinking of all the bad things I did!! My older sis never would play with me either - mine was 3 yrs older, how bout you?

Me (aka Danielle) said...

I was afraid you were going to say you cut the tassles off the furniture. What a memory. And the hair, the things we do as and endure as children.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh so funny...I bet your mom had some choice words when you did this!!!
I remember hiding behind a chair with scissors too and chopped up my bangs to about 1/2 an inch. ugghh.

We were bad, but look at us NOW!!!!

Connie said...

Cassie, this post made me smile. I can just picture you holding those scissors. HA! I used to play under furniture too. I still have a coffee table that used to belong to my parents. If you crawl underneath it, you can see where I used a pencil and wrote on the bottom of it when I was very young. :D

Jen said...

I hope your eye heals soon, maybe you should have it looked at.
You sound a little naughty here, but we know you're nice.

Dawn said...

hmmm... is this good that i jogged this memory? i so enjoyed the story...

Anonymous said...

What a great story. I know myself, as well as my children, loved to put a sheet or blanket over our kitchen table and make a fort under it. Twas a simplier life then......

Molly the Airedale said...

Mom thinks your hair is just beautiful! We're so glad it grew back!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Shelley said...

First jen w/ the scissors - and now you! Hmmm - I must've missed out on some fun when I was a kid! Come to think of it - my hair was a mess and could've used a good haircut!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Love the picture of you, Cassie...You are just gorgeous. Love that LONG hair!!!! Hootie is lucky to have you as his Mama...

I think all of us had some crazy childhood experiences.. I loved reading yours. You were an accident-ready-to-happen when it came to scissors, weren't you????? ha

Hugs,
Betsy