Canines & Bipeds That Follow My Blog:

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Shadow Shot Sunday #126 ~ Saying Hello Autumn/Goodbye Summer, Part 1

Wandered around Lake Pend Oreille's deserted shores the other day seeing what shadows I could capture. The gulls wouldn't hold still long enough for me to get a good shot, so I photographed the inanimate. This is part 1, as I have a few more Shadow Shots from this day I'll share next week. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about our beautiful lake:

Lake Pend Oreille is a lake in the northern Idaho Panhandle, with a surface area of 148 square miles. It is 65 miles (105 km) long, and 1,150 feet (350 m) deep in some regions, making it the fifth deepest in the United States. It is fed by the Clark Fork River and the Pack River, and drains via the Pend Oreille River. It is surrounded by national forests and a few small towns, with the largest population on the lake at Sandpoint. All but the southern tip of the lake is in Bonner County. The southern tip is in Kootenai County and is home to Farragut State Park, formerly the "Farragut Naval Training Station" during World War II. The forests consist of ponderosa pine, Douglas fir, Poplar, Quaking Aspen, Paper Birch and Western Larch. Local animal species include whitetail deer, elk, gray wolves, moose, squirrels, black bears, grizzly bears, coyotes and bobcats, along with bald eagles, osprey, owls, hummingbirds, hawks, woodpeckers, ducks and the mountain bluebird. The lake is a home for several species of migratory water fowl.
For more Shadow Shots take a swim over to our hostess, Tracy's blog, Hey Harriet. Happy Sahdow Shot Sunday!

22 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What delightful shadow shots to welcome autumn and say goodbye to summer! And such a lovely place! Hope you're enjoying a great weekend!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place and such gorgeous photos Cassie. Looks like a great place to spend the day.

Dorothy said...

Cassie, hope you had fun looking for pictures! I always do! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

What a great place and your shots all have that Autumn feel to them.

Connie said...

Very pretty pictures, Cassie. The lake looks very peaceful. Hope you have a nice weekend. :)

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Cassie my favorite is the swim dock on its on on the water .. talk about a serene setting ! Beautiful : ) and yes .. good bye to summer but hello colourful Autumn even though it is so short : )
Joy

A Wild Thing said...

Oh so melancholy to say goodbye to our summers...say it ain't so...!

Ralph said...

The lake area is empty these colder days. Yet the emptiness allows me to see the wonderful lake and I can almost imagine the beach full of people and lifeguards around to watch over it all. Lovely Gem State scenery! I guess that Arizona beckons, but this is an outstanding land you are in as of now!

robin. said...

thanks for sharing cassie...looks like a beautiful spot!!!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Cassie girl I had to drop by and say thank you for the laugh I got this morning reading your comment about "crap" that was too funny .. I think the tree you were wondering about is some kind of "sugar" maple because the colour is so brilliant .. I am wondering what plant ? is that in your header photo ?
Joy

Joe Todd said...

Sometimes deserted parks are the best

Just Me said...

That lake photo is wonderful. So peaceful and beautiful. I wish I was there!

http://blondiesabode.blogspot.com/

fredamans said...

*waving back*

I love the dock shot!

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/10/shadow-shot-is-self-portrait.html

Crafty Green Poet said...

looks a lovely place, the shadows are beautiful

Anonymous said...

Lovely shadows - I like the one of the dock.

Busy Bee Suz said...

What a beautiful park area.
Love that dock shot!!!

Dimple said...

God bless you, Cassie!
I recognized the location of your pictures, I should take a side trip there soon. I love it when it's quiet! Beautiful shadows, and still water can't be beat!

Lighthousegal said...

What wonderful shadow shots. I especially like the lake shot with the reflection of the trees on the water. It looks like a beautiful place.Thanks for sharing! I hope you have a chance to hop on over to my blog and tell me what you think! Feel free to comment on my Parenting Post as well. I would appreciate it very much!!

The JR said...

The last picture made me laugh!

Minerva said...

What a great place for pictures! Watch out for those wolves, grizzlies, and black bears! Guess you can't take Baby and Rocket Dog off-leash there, huh?

Hey Harriet said...

These photos are great! I always find it sad to say goodbye to summer. Even though it happens every year it just doesn't get any easier :)

Chubby Chieque said...

Didn't see that you have autumn/wintery weather...

Lovely shots, C! Love everything, so calm & clean.

Happy SSS...
/c